Friday, March 20, 2009

My Adventures - Mozambique Mission Trip 2009 (pt. 3)


Just to give you a little information about Mozambique and Iris Ministries:

Mozambique is one of the poorest nations on earth. The statistics are shocking: Average life expectancy - 35 years. Unemployment - 90%. Orphans - one million. Children that die daily from water and sanitation-related diseases - 5,000.
Zimpeto Children's Centre, established by Rolland and Heidi Baker of Iris Ministries, is on the outskirts of Maputo, the capital city of Mozambique. The Centre cares for over 300 children, with 130 Mozambican workers and 40 long-term missionaries in residence. There is a free health clinic, primary school (with 800 enrolled students), food aid program, nursing mothers' assistance, and a reintegration program which aims to reunite children with their families wherever possible.

Our first day at Iris Ministries was spent just hanging out with the children and playing with the babies. I was able to spend a few hours in the Nursery and visit with the ladies there. Even though we couldn't talk alot to each other, we were able to communicate with gestures, they even taught me a little Portuguese.

The baby house has about 30 children under the age of 4. When you step into the playing area, you are almost immediately surrounded by children wanting your attention and wanting to be held, some tug on your pant leg and say in Portuguese, "Look at me, look at me!!" and then they do something silly or grab a toy to show you. I felt a little overwhelmed at first, because I wanted to hold them all and show each one that they are special and I didn't favor one over the other. But that's hard, because as soon as you pick up one or two, the others are jealous. Of course, as you are there longer, you can give attention to a few more, but it's almost impossible to hold or play with 30 toddlers at once. But God reminded me of the "stop for the one" thing that Heidi said in her book, and that's what I did, I looked at one child at a time and just loved them. I felt so full of love for these children and I just wanted them all to know how much they are loved and wanted. (obviously they are getting alot of love there too, because we saw a few before/after pictures of the children - it's amazing how much they've blossomed at Iris!)

After having lunch with all the children (including those that go to the school), we went to Machava Children's Center, which was about an hour's drive from the Zimpeto Center. It too, was a beautiful center. We were shown around the base and met a few people, then they had their church service and we (the team) shared a few words with the people. After the service, I had the opportunity to take a few pictures of some children. (On this trip I didn't get to take as many pictures as I would've liked to because either it was too dangerous or just not respectful of the locals.)

After the first day, time seemed to just fly by. Our team did alot of ministry to the long-term staff and missionaries while we were on the base. God did alot of stretching in me there too. I've never done prophecy for others before. Our team was in the prayer room with one or two missionaries at a time and we were listening to what God was saying for this person, not if He had something to say. I didn't want to go, I was kinda complaining to God and saying that I didn't want to go, because I probably wouldn't hear anything He was saying anyways. But He reminded me, "When you are weak, then I am strong." So, I kinda reluctantly said, fine I'll go. I trust that You'll help me, 'cause I'm not strong in this area. And God totally did speak, well, more like I heard Him. And sometimes I'd get one or two words for the people or sometimes I'd see a picture - it was really neat. This really boosted my faith and I became more confident in God and trusting Him. Although, when the opportunity to go to the hospital ministry came up at Zimpeto, I didn't go - for 2 reasons - I really just wanted to spend some time with the girls, and I was kinda scared to go to the hospital. Honestly, I hate hospitals here in Canada, never mind one in a third-world country. So I stayed back and just hung out with the girls - and I was glad I did. I had a good time getting to know them.

The first outreach we did was the Bocaria (Dump). I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when we got there, and if I would be able to handle the sights and smells. I'm just going to take an excerpt from my journal from this day to give you a picture of what it was like:

"This morning, we went to the Bocaria to minister to the people there. We took the covered truck with 13 of us volunteers riding in the back. When we got to the dump, we drove down into a sort of valley that separated the homes from the dump, there was also the building that served as their church. (I later learned that the homes were all built by Iris Ministries) The church had bamboo walls, metal roof, and a dirt/sand floor. When we arrived, there were about 5 or 6 ladies singing and praying and about 4 or 5 children. I sat with 3 of the children while we prayed before we split up. Then we split our team in half - one would go to the bocaria area to pray for them and invite them to church and one would go to the houses to pray for the ladies and the sick. I went to the bocaria. What I saw totally tugged at my heart and I felt such compassion for these people. They were picking through the garbage - some more desperate than others. Some were eating whatever half-rotten fruit or food they could find. There were some areas on the dump that were soggy to step on, and some areas that were smoldering. We prayed for people from old to young, and then went back to the church. While we were on the dump, at one point, I just looked around in amazement at where I was - in the middle of a stinky, filthy, grimy, messy pile of rubbish, yet it didn't bother me. I didn't care that it was dirty, I didn't have reactions to the smoke or wretch at touching the garbage. I had such compassion for these lowest-of-the-lows that none of those things mattered. Praying for them and just being there with them was such a blessing.
The church was packed with children and adults. We worshiped some more (I was, once again, with some children) then the team got up to share. After the service, we handed out bread to everyone and headed off in our truck, this time with 17 people and 3 babies in the back. (and we thought 13 was squishy!!)"

The next day, we went to a market in Maputo. I quite enjoyed the experience. After, we were taken to an Italian restaurant in the Maputo Mall. It felt very weird going from the dump the previous day to riding on escalators in a big, fancy mall. We were all quite pensive on our way to the restaurant. I had Pineapple Fanta for the first time at the restaurant - it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment